Forum Index
To Homepage

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Make money with your photos!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
phakimata

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:29 pm    Post subject: Make money with your photos! Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

Most of us are serious amateur photographers, and have taken a lot of photos that are now collecting cyber-dust on our computers. I decided to join a stock agency in order to sell them, so at least I can make some money with it. Sales are actually going really well, especially when you have an extensive portfolio. The stock agency I use is Dreamstime. Earnings per image can be from $0.60 to >$5000. I know that $0.60 doesn't sound like much, but if you see that you can sell that image several times (keep in mind you have the entire world as your market), the price will make a significant difference.

To see my gallery, please click here: Hakimata's Portfolio or to subscribe, please click here: http://www.Dreamstime.com

Good luck!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
elrick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you already receive check from them?

Nice cats, btw... Cool
phakimata

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did. I just received my first check. I'm a member with them for 3 months now, and the first month I only had 10 photos in my profile. The sales then were slow, but as I started uploading more and extending my portfolio, my sales start increasing rapidly.

Thanks for the kind comment on the cats Cool

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
elrick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The minimum 3Mp limit means quality of photo, like taken on 3Mp, 4Mp, 5mp etc. camera, or the size of the photo in Mb?
For the photographer to join is free or paid membership is required to sell photos? or for affiliate program?

btw...do you take photos of cats at cat shows also?
phakimata

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The m minimum of 3 MP is indeed the quality, like the camera's sensor size.
For anyone to join is for free. The photos you upload will be revised first, before placed in your portfolio. People who buy photos, buy the photos with a license, and depending on the license and size of the photo downloaded is what they will pay. It's better explained here: http://www.dreamstime.com/sellimages

I also take photos of animals at shows.

I hope I have answered your questions.

Cheers,
Paul.

elrick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, thank you Cool
about cat shows, some of my photos from them are here:
http://www.cityphotolab.com/gal/index.php?cat=3 and here http://www.cityphotolab.com/gal/index.php?cat=10003
However, I'm usually able to go only to CFA show in October, cause all other shows are not in NYC Sad
phakimata

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have many cat photos. There are definitely a bunch of photos that you could sell. Some might need some retouching, e.g. in this photo you could brighten the eyes a little bit using the dodge tool in Photoshop:
http://www.cityphotolab.com/gal/displayimage.php?pos=-4979

elrick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh no...that photo belongs to Gelka, photographer from Russia...
my photos in the cat's gallery are under "elrick" Cool
phakimata

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooops, sorry. I just looked at the links you provided. Now that I looked into your gallery, there are many photos ready for use. Especially the ones of the Geese and many of the New York ones, as well as the Coney Island Seagulls.

Cool galleries!!!

elrick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank You Cool

Galleries here are organized in two ways:
1. user galleries
2. thematic categories (for example, Cats) . Thematic categories has been contributed by different photographers
phakimata

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured that out. Thanks.

ps.: I saw your photos of the PhotoExpo Plus last year. Did you already register for this years event?

elrick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not last year, but 2004... and in 2005 I was at PhotoExpo, but didn't take photos...in 2006 I wasn't there at all, but I did register for 2007 already

Interesting...they say that photographer should submit model release form, if he submits the photo of a model....but what about photos of Cats from Cat shows? These Cats have owners, and...?
phakimata

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there is any recognizable human in the photo, they should sign a model release. Also keep in mind that certain buildings or animals could have been copyrighted, too, and therefore also need a release form signed.

elrick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the problem...at Cat shows there are no info about copyright posted Cool
and one other thing...they say that they will pay only after $100 is reached, but they want exclusive rights for a photo
phakimata

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That you miss understood. let me explain:

You should always be in charge of your own release forms. People are especially important, and in general you can just ask them to sign such form. Normally you need to explain to them for what you'd like to use the photo, and you can tell them that those photos are in high demand, and you can counter offer them a copy of the photos (by email) if they sign the forms. There are many examples online for those release forms.

You will not sell the rights to any stock agency. Every photo will remain yours. As sales are increasing you will reach $100 or more, then you can actually request payment. Since it's a guarantee that you will sell, you will reach that amount. I explained that in the first post. There is one license that you can opt-in for that allows you to sell the rights of a photo to a potential buyer, and then you can also set your own price (minimum for this is set to $350, but you can make this higher if you like).

I hope this answers your questions a little bit. Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Resources All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: